1. XSTAT 30: Food and Drug Administration Approves Syringe That Plugs Bullet Wound in 15 Seconds. Originally developed for use by the U.S. military, the Xstat Rapid Hemostasis System injects cellulose sponges into wounds to control life-threatening bleeding.
2. Tom Brady threw for 226 yards and two touchdowns and the New England Patriots snapped a two-game skid and clinched a playoff spot with a 27-6 win over the Houston Texans on Sunday night.
3. In Boston, the legal age to buy cigarettes may be raised to 21. A proposal by Mayor Marty Walsh faces a vote Thursday and could go into effect early in 2016.
4. Tom’s of Maine is awarding $1 million to charities. The Kennebunk-based company, which makes natural personal care products, donates 10 percent of profits to charity.
5. The Internet is freaking out over a Starbucks holiday item again. But, this time it has nothing to do with holiday cups and everything to do with cookies. Polar bear cookies, to be exact.