1. In accordance with a directive from the President, Governor Janet Mills orders that the United States and State of Maine flags be flown at half-staff statewide immediately until sunset on Thursday, August 8th.The gesture is in honor of the victims of the mass shootings in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio. Mills issued the following statement: “It is with heavy hearts and deep grief that we mourn the loss of our friends and fellow Americans. On behalf of the people of Maine, and with love and sorrow for our nation, we stand with the victims and their families, with the brave first responders who saved so many lives, and with the communities of El Paso and Dayton during this difficult time.” (News Center Maine)
2. Portland officials unveiled a proposed licensing regime for adult use and medical marijuana operations on Friday that would cap the number of retail stores at 20 citywide. The proposed rules, which recommend a $10,000 a year annual license for marijuana retail stores, will receive an initial review on Tuesday. Voters approved legalizing recreational marijuana for adults aged 21 and older three years ago and the law allows cities and towns to decide if they will opt into the market and set local rules. (Press Herald)
3. Portland has been named as one of the Top 15 Beer Cities in the world, according to a new ranking from CNN. The news outlet says Portland is the U.S. city with the most breweries per capita. Those who work for some of Portland’s breweries say it’s hard to find a bad beer in the city and that collaboration is a huge part of what they do. The thriving food scene has helped the popularity of beer in Portland, as well as many cultural influences that have created a diverse beer selection. (WGME)
4. Never give up on your dreams, it’s a cliche, but it’s true. Nathan Patterson played baseball in high school, but figured he wasn’t good enough to make it to the pros, so he stopped. After he threw 96 miles per hour in a pitching booth at Coors Field in Colorado last month, the Oakland A’s took notice of the video that gained buzz on social media and signed him to a contract. (Cut 4)
5. HOT SUMMER 2019 Saturday August 31 Maine Savings Pavilion At Rock Row In Westbrook starring Wiz Khalifa, A Boogie, YK Osiris, Iyla Tickets on Sale HERE! – Hot1047maine.com / waterfrontconcerts.com or locally at the box office located at Aura – 121 Center Street Portland.
Made Hot In Maine By the US Army. Make a difference in the world around you in the boots of a US Army soldier and gain leadership skills in one of more than 150 career fields. (Go Army)