1. A child was transported by LifeFlight helicopter to Maine Medical Center in Portland after three motor vehicles collided Sunday afternoon on Route 25 in Gorham. Five other people were injured and had to be taken to the hospital. Gorham Deputy Police Chief Christopher Sanborn said the crash appears to have taken place after the driver of a pickup truck struck an SUV in the rear. The accident forced police to close the highway nearby for several hours. Press Herald
2. Two waterfront restaurants were evacuated and one of Portland’s most heavily traveled streets closed for more than three hours Sunday afternoon after a fire broke out in a roof vent. Flatbread Co. and Ri Ra Irish Pub and Restaurant had to close and won’t be able to reopen until the owners meet with the city’s code enforcement officer on Monday to develop a repair plan. Press Herald
3. Manny Pacquiao, the all-time boxing legend from the Philippines, aimed to prove he could still take care of business against an elite opponent at age 40. He did just that by defeating Keith Thurman, a man 10 years younger, on Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in front of 14,356 people, with more watching at home. Thurman mocked Pacquiao’s smaller size and said he would knock him into retirement and make the PacMan “disappear”. After the win, Pacquiao stayed humble and said “He’s not an easy opponent. He’s a good boxer, and he’s strong. I was just blessed tonight.” ESPN
4. A Maine company has been named the official ice cream of the New England Patriots. Gifford’s Famous Ice Cream, a fifth-generation, family-owned business in Skowhegan, said it will be producing a special flavor for the six-time world champs that will be sold at Gillette Stadium and elsewhere around the region. JC Gifford, vice president of sales, said the company is thrilled about being “drafted to be the next man up as the official ice cream for the team.” In 2016, Gifford’s also became the Official Ice Cream of the Boston Bruins. WGME
5. HOT SUMMER 2019 Saturday August 31 Maine Savings Pavilion At Rock Row In Westbrook starring Wiz Khalifa, A Boogie, YK Osiris, Iyla Tickets on Sale HERE! – Hot1047maine.com / waterfrontconcerts.com or locally at the box office located at Aura – 121 Center Street Portland.
Made Hot In Maine By the US Army. Make a difference in the world around you in the boots of a US Army soldier and gain leadership skills in one of more than 150 career fields. goarmy.com