1. President-elect Joe Biden unveiled a $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief plan. The “American Rescue Plan” would meet Biden’s goal of administering 100 million vaccines by the 100th day of his administration. Biden proposed $1,400 checks for most Americans. It would also put a halt on evictions and foreclosures through September. (AP)
2. The Maine National Guard will send up to 200 guardsmen to Washington, D.C., to support next week’s inauguration. In Maine officials have said there are no known credible threats against the State House, security has been tightened as a precautionary measure. (WMTW)
3. The US tops 23.3 million Covid-19 cases with over 388,000 related deaths. The Maine CDC reported 8 new deaths and 808 new cases on Thursday. Maine’s death toll is 461 with 193 Mainers currently hospitalized. (WMTW)
4. Monday is Martin Luther King Jr. Day – Celebrated on the 3rd Monday in January each year. King was the chief spokesperson for nonviolent activism in the Civil Rights Movement. While Monday is the national holiday today is his actual birthday.
5. Oscar Mayer is looking to hire a new crew of “hotdoggers” to drive the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile. The Chicago-based company is looking for recent college graduates to take on the one-year paid job crisscrossing the country in the iconic 27-foot-long hot dog-shaped vehicle. The gig will last from June 2021 through June 2022. The job is posted online at Oscarmayer.com for anyone interested in applying. The deadline is Jan. 31. (FOX)
Made Hot in Maine by, The Gas Station in Lewiston! Now open at 1822 Lisbon Street.