1. SpaceX’s latest test flight for its Starship spacecraft ended in a massive fireball explosion after the unmanned prototype failed to land safely. Elon Musk didn’t seem phased saying “…we got all the data we needed! Congrats SpaceX team hell yeah!!” Musk hopes that this technology will lead to super-fast air travel (i.e. United States to Australia in a matter of hours) and eventually bring humans to Mars.
2. The U.S. tops 15.3 million Covid-19 cases with over 289,000 deaths. The Maine CDC reported 7 new covid related deaths and 405 cases on Wednesday. Maine’s death toll is 246 with 3,870 active cases.
3. Governor Janet Mills has announced the Pandemic Relief Program, a one-time $600 payment to those who are unemployed or partially unemployed due to COVID-19.
4. NASA on Wednesday named Caribou native Jessica Meir to the Artemis Team of astronauts, the lunar exploration program that will send the first woman and next man to the Moon in 2024. NASA will announce flight assignments later, according to a release.
5. Hanukkah – The Jewish festival of lights kicks off tonight. 8 days of celebration follow.
Made Hot in Maine by the US Army Recruiting Station. Learn how you can join the team that makes a difference at your local U.S. Army Recruiting Station.