1. Congress passed a $900 billion pandemic relief package Monday night. The bill combines coronavirus-fighting funds with financial relief for individuals and businesses. It would establish a temporary $300 per week supplemental jobless benefit and a $600 direct stimulus payment to most Americans. The bill also set aside $15 billion for independent music venues, theaters, and other cultural institutions.
2. President-elect Joe Biden on Monday received his first dose of the coronavirus vaccine on live television. “I’m doing this to demonstrate that people should be prepared when it’s available to take the vaccine. There’s nothing to worry about.” The president-elect praised the health care workers and said President Donald Trump’s administration “deserves some credit getting this off the ground.”
3. The U.S. tops 18.0 million Covid-19 cases with over 318,000 deaths. The Maine CDC reported one new covid related death and 339 new cases on Monday. Maine’s death toll is 293 with 8,155 active cases. 162 Mainers are currently hospitalized w/ covid-19.
4. Moderna’s coronavirus vaccine has arrived in Maine, just days after it received FDA approval. Residents of long-term care facilities in Maine were scheduled to begin receiving the new coronavirus vaccine on Monday.
5. Burger King is addressing hard economic times by starting a Dollar menu. Beginning on December 28th, BK’s Your Way Menu will include Bacon Cheeseburgers, Jr. Chicken Sandwiches, French Fries, and soft drinks for a buck.
Made Hot in Maine by the US Army Recruiting Station. Learn how you can join the team that makes a difference at your local U.S. Army Recruiting Station.