1. Payments of $600 as part of the coronavirus relief package signed by Donald Trump over the weekend may arrive as early last night according to the U.S. Treasury Secretary. Paper checks will begin to be mailed today. Later this week, you can check the status of your payment at http://IRS.gov/GetMyPayment.
2. The U.S. tops 19.5 million Covid-19 cases with over 338,000 deaths. The Maine CDC reported 7 new covid related deaths and 590 new cases on Tuesday. Maine’s death toll is 333. 184 Mainers are currently hospitalized w/ covid-19.
3. The first reported U.S. case of the COVID-19 variant that’s been seen in the United Kingdom has been discovered in Colorado. Scientists in the U.K. believe the variant is more contagious than previously identified strains. The vaccines being given now are thought to be effective against the variant.
4. For the first time since early March, the University of Maine is getting set to once again host a winter sporting event. This weekend, the University of Maine men’s basketball team will host the University of New Hampshire Saturday and Sunday. no spectators or media will be allowed inside.
5. Dunkin’ Donuts is launching “Extra Charged” coffee with an extra 20 percent more caffeine to supercharge your new year. Dunkin’ Midnight a dark full-bodied flavor with coco notes and The Explorer Batch a medium roast with raspberry notes are available today at select locations.
Made Hot in Maine by the US Army Recruiting Station. Learn how you can join the team that makes a difference at your local U.S. Army Recruiting Station.