1. 2020’s first presidential debate devolved into chaos, insults and countless interruptions between Donald Trump and Joe Biden. Trump refused to condemn white supremacists, saying left-wings groups were more of a problem. The president also directly addressed the Proud Boys–a group of far-right neo-fascists–by telling them, “Stand back and stand by.” (CNN)
2. As of 7AM about 8,200 CMP customers are without power this morning as strong winds move through the state. A wind advisory was expanded to include all of York and Cumberland Counties and is in effect now through noon. Gusts 40-50 MPH expected this morning.(WMTW)
3. The U.S. Tops 7.1 million covid cases w/ over 206,000 related deaths. The Maine CDC reported 19 additional coronavirus cases and one new death on Monday. Maine’s death toll remains 141 with 567 active cases.(WGME)
4. Exterminators in Portland are seeing more rats than they have in years. The pandemic-related mixture of restaurant closures and people working from home have created a new spot for pests. Home owners should keep their yards clean, seal off any holes leading into their home, and place all garbage bags in bins.(WGME)
5. The Portland City Clerk’s Office is hearing from absentee voters who may now want to instead vote in person. The advice for voters is if they decide to vote in person, they should not return their absentee ballot. They also will not be allowed to request a second absentee ballot to cast in-person at City Hall before Election Day.(PRESS HERALD)
Made Hot in Maine by the US Army Recruiting Station. Learn how you can join the team that makes a difference at your local U.S. Army Recruiting Station.