1. A student in a pro-Trump hat sets off taunting, dialogue at South Portland High. Sophomore Connor Mullen expected classmates to hassle him, but when staff members joined in he decided to defend his free-speech rights. (PH)
2. On the occasion of David Ortiz’s final Fenway Park opener, he was reduced to tears when his 15-year-old daughter, Alexandra, surprised him by singing the national anthem. (ESPN)
3. A change could be on the way for young smokers in Portland. A City Council committee is weighing a proposal to increase the age to buy tobacco to 21. More than 125 cities, including New York City, Boston, Kansas City and Cleveland, restrict tobacco sales to customers 21 and up. (WMTW)
4. Presidential candidate Donald Trump has inspired a porn parody. Brought to you by Hustler, which has promised to gift the video to all Republican members of Congress, the porn parody follows Trump in search for a Vice President. Larry Flynt announced the parody, titled The Donald on Monday. Hustler is most notably responsible for 2008’s Who’s Nailin’ Paylin about then vice presidential hopeful—and current Donald Trump endorser—Sarah Palin. (Complex)
5. Equal Pay Day. Celebrated on the second Tuesday of April, this day is meant to acknowledge the difference between what men and women are paid in the United States. It is also Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day. This day is meant to celebrate the grilled cheese sandwich, the toasted delight popular all across the world.
5 Things You Need To Know is Made Hot In Maine by Kaplan University, preparing students for their careers, and connecting you with employers.