1. The Portland Pirates are leaving Maine after 23 seasons, catching many by surprise and forcing Cumberland County to find a new major tenant at Cross Insurance Arena. The American Hockey League franchise is being bought by a group of investors who plan to move it to Springfield, Massachusetts. (PH)
2. Gov. Paul LePage hopes Donald Trump picks him to be part of his administration if he is elected to office. If not, he’ll run against Angus King for U.S. Senate in 2018. (WMTW)
3. The city of Portland is busy getting ready for a big wave of visitors this tourism season. The Maine Department of Transportation is in the middle of a month long paving project across the city. Portland’s cruise ship season officially kicks off Sunday. Nearly 100,000 passengers will visit the city, with the largest ship carrying 4,000 people. (SJ)
4. Indiana installs first safe drop boxes for unwanted babies. Mothers can now drop off unwanted babies both anonymously and safely with the Safe Haven Baby Box. Safe Haven Baby Boxes work with the nationwide Safe Haven law which allows women to abandon unwanted newborns without any legal consequences at places such as hospitals, police stations, and fire stations. According to the Safe Haven Baby Boxes website the boxes have heating and cooling in addition to a security system to alert when a baby has been dropped off. (Complex)
5. Happy Cinco de Mayo! Although most of us use this day as an excuse to drink inappropriate amounts of tequila, the 5th of May is actually about a lot more than partying. Here’s five-little known facts about the holiday.
And you should also know that Hot Summer 2016 tickets are on sale now! Fat Joe, Ty Dolla $ign, Post Malone, Niykee Heaton and more are coming to the Maine State Pier June 4th. Purchase your tickets here!
5 Things You Need To Know is Made Hot In Maine by Kaplan University, preparing students for their careers, and connecting you with employers.