1. President Trump has changed the date of his upcoming campaign rally after facing criticism. His campaign received blowback after scheduling the rally on Juneteenth.
Juneteenth honors the end of slavery in the United States. Critics also took issue with the location of the rally, as Tulsa was the site of one of the bloodiest incidents of racist violence in American history. (NY Times)
2. Sen. Susan Collins and Congresswomen Chellie Pingree spoke out against the Trump Administration’s decision to revoke the Obama-era protections for transgender people against sex discrimination in health care. The policy shift defines gender as a person’s biological sex. The Obama regulation defined gender as a person’s internal sense of being male, female, neither or a combination. LGBTQ groups say protections are needed for people seeking sex-reassignment treatment, and even for transgender people who need medical care for common conditions such as diabetes or heart problems. (News Center)
3. Democratic presidential hopeful Joe Biden hosted a virtual brunch and policy discussion in Maine on Saturday in celebration of Pride month. On Saturday, Biden tweeted in opposition to the Trump administration’s rollback of Obama-era health-care protections for transgender patients, writing, in part, that “Trump’s cruelty knows no bounds.” (WMTW)
4. The U.S. Coronavirus cases top 2 million. America’s death toll stands at more than 115,000. The Maine CDC on Sunday reported 36 new cases for a total of 2,793 of which 520 are active. No new deaths were reported, leaving that figure at 100. (Press Herald)
5. Moving baseball and softball from spring to fall, and football and soccer from fall to spring, has been suggested as an idea to help Maine schools adhere to coronavirus safety guidelines. The concept of a revised sports calendar has reached coaches and athletic directors, and that MPA officials have begun to get feedback. (Press Herald)
Made Hot by Partners Bank, making banking easier with their vast 24/7 banking options, including mobile wallet, and telephone banking. Member FDIC