1. The investigation into a recent string of armed robberies in the Portland area involved a sweeping FBI demand for Google user location data. The court-approved demand, first reported by Forbes magazine, would have included sensitive personal data on every Google location services user in range of two or more robberies within 30 minutes of the crimes, including innocent bystanders. Despite being served with a search warrant, Google never complied with the demand. A man suspected of being the robber eventually was caught. Westbrook resident Travis Card, 38, pleaded guilty Aug. 2 to 11 of the 14 robberies or attempted robberies. He now faces up to 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine for each of the 11 crimes. Card ultimately was identified and apprehended through other investigative methods. (PressHerald)
2. Authorities are investigating a shark attack involving a human at an ocean-facing beach in Cape Cod. A man was bitten in the leg by a shark at Long Nook Beach. The unidentified victim suffered puncture wounds to his torso and legs Wednesday afternoon. In the past decade, the Cape Cod region, has seen an increase in its population of gray and harbor seals. The increased seal population has attracted great white sharks, which depend on seals as the staple of their diet. (WMTW)
3. The owner of Maine Duck Tours saying a petition to ban all duck boats is a “knee jerk reaction”. The petition is being pushed by Tia Coleman, who lost 9 members of her family in the tragic duck boat accident in Missouri. 17 people total lost their lives. Kris McClure, one of the owners of Maine Duck Tours, says the boats used by his company are not World War II era like the one involved in the Missouri tragedy. He says his duck boats were built in 2004. Maine Duck Tours posted on its Facebook page saying its reviewing all safety and weather protocols. They also say 6 tours were cancelled just last week for fears of fog and weather. McClure said more that 1 million passengers traveled safely on duck boats in the last year. (WMTW)
4. Hulu has renewed “Castle Rock” for a second season. The anthology drama will return with a “wholly original” story in its second year, the streamer’s senior vice president and head of content Craig Erwich tells Variety. The first season of “Castle Rock” premiered on July 25, dropping the first three episodes of the new psychological horror series set within the Stephen King universe. Within its first day of launch, the streamer reports, the show became the most successful first season Hulu Original when considering consumption and reach. (Variety)
5. Saturday, September 1 (Labor Day Weekend) Hot 104.7 & Grass Monkey Present another #HOTSHOW starring Lil Jon at the State Theatre. Just added King Combs and Caye. Tickets are ON SALE NOW. Charge by phone at 800-745-3000, in person at the Port City Music Hall box office Wednesday-Friday 10AM-5PM or ONLINE HERE.