1. The U.S. Surgeon General claims the coronavirus epidemic is about to get much worse. “I want America to understand: This week, it’s going to get bad,” Surgeon General Jerome Adams said Monday on TODAY. He added, “We really, really need everyone to stay at home.” More than 34,300 Americans have been infected with coronavirus across all 50 states, and at least 414 people have died. (TODAY)
2. As of Monday’s daily CDC briefing there are now 107 cases of the coronavirus in the state of Maine. 2,791 Maine residents have tested negative. 12 people are hospitalized. Three have recovered. Cumberland County has the most cases with 66. The director of the Maine CDC advises “Live Your Life as if COVID-19 is already in your community. What you do today will determine the health of your community tomorrow.” (WGME)
3. The town of York is closing its beaches in an effort to keep people from spreading coronavirus. It is effective until further notice. The Ellis Park Committee made a similar decision, closing Ellis Park and Short Sands Beach in York. (WGME)
4. The International Olympic Committee chief and Japan Prime Minister agree to officially postpone tokyo olypics until 2021.
5. Antoine’s tailor shop in Portland is closed for business right now because of the coronavirus outbreak but the staff has come in anyway, on their own time, to make face masks. “As an immigrant, we want to give back to the community to offer these masks and give them for free to the most needy,” said one staff member. (WMTW)