1. Thousands of Mainers are in the dark this morning as the rain and snow continues. As of 7:00am Central Maine Power is reporting 12,030 customers without power. Speed has been reduced on Interstate 95 from Kittery to Augusta to 45 mph as plows work to keep the roadways clear. Several of schools canceled classes Tuesday – List Of Closings. (NewsCenterMaine)
2. Republican Rep. Bruce Poliquin requested a recount Monday of results in Maine’s 2nd Congressional District race, citing concerns about the transparency of the “computer-engineered” ranked-choice voting results. To overturn the election results, Poliquin will have to erase a more than 3,500-vote lead Democrat Jared Golden holds following the nation’s first use of ranked-choice voting to decide a congressional election. (Press Herald)
3. Donald Trump says he doesn’t believe the economy-related findings of a new report on climate change in the United States. The report by scientists from 13 federal agencies says climate change will have negative effects on our economy. Trump responded, “We’re the cleanest we’ve ever been.” (HuffingtonPost)
4. NASA landed a spacecraft on Mars for the first time in six years on Monday. The InSight spacecraft will now attempt to burrow into the surface of the red planet in order to monitor heat and earthquakes. The successful landing marked the United States’ seventh in the past four decades. No other country has landed a spacecraft on Mars. (APNews)
5. Krispy Kreme has unveiled an ugly Christmas sweater-inspired doughnut. The Ugly Christmas Sweater Doughnut includes sprinkles, icing and “over-the-top reindeer and penguin candy pieces.” There’s also a Santa Belly Doughnut in the festive holiday line. (Food And Wine)
Made Hot in Maine by Camden National Bank. Recently named the 2018 Customer Experience Leader in U.S. Retail Banking by Greenwich Associates. Member FDIC.