1. The head of the Massachusetts motor vehicle division has resigned for failing to terminate the commercial driving license of Volodymyr Zhukovskyy, whose collision with a group of motorcyclists in New Hampshire left seven dead. Records show Zhukovskyy has been stopped twice on suspicion of drunken driving in the past seven years. (WGME)
2. Gov Janet Mills has signed a bill aiming to protect internet customers. The amended bill says internet service providers that are contracted by the state have to agree to provide “net neutral service.” The law defines “net neutral service” as providing internet service without blocking lawful content or favoring some websites to benefit others. Maine would also require such providers to agree they won’t inappropriately “throttle,” or slow down, internet traffic based on content. (WGME)
3. Town police were called to a home off Shore Road, near Fort Williams Park, last week to take a report on a possible burglary. The resident had departed for work around 9 a.m. on June 19, leaving an exterior door unlocked to allow an appliance repair person to enter the house, said Police Chief Paul Fenton. When the resident returned home around 7 p.m., he noticed that window blinds had been raised, sofa throws had been folded, bed sheets had been replaced with fresh linens and a load of laundry had been washed and folded, Fenton said. A representative of a cleaning company told police that a crew had been scheduled to clean another house in the neighborhood. Instead, the crew entered and cleaned the wrong house. (Portland Press Herald)
4. Netflix tweeted yesterday… We’re sad that NBC has decided to take The Office back for its own streaming platform — but members can binge watch the show to their hearts’ content ad-free on Netflix until January 2021. (Twitter)
5. HOT SUMMER 2019 Saturday August 31 Maine Savings Pavilion At Rock Row In Westbrook starring Wiz Khalifa, A Boogie, YK Osiris, Iyla Tickets on Sale Now or locally at the box office located at Aura – 121 Center Street Portland.
Made Hot In Maine By the US Army. Make a difference in the world around you in the boots of a US Army soldier and gain leadership skills in one of more than 150 career fields. (Go Army)