1. The United States coronavirus cases top 1,204,000. America’s death toll stands at more than 71,000. A model often cited by the White House now forecasts that 134,000 people will die of the virus in the country. (CNN)
2. The Maine CDC reported four additional deaths of individuals with coronavirus and 21 new cases on Tuesday. The statewide totals are 1,226 confirmed cases and 61 deaths. Missing the cutoff for Tuesday’s daily briefing were an additional 20 cases at the Tyson Foods plant in Portland. Managers have agreed to keep the plant closed for a few more days to allow the CDC to trace the contacts of infected workers. (PRESS HERALD)
3. Smitty’s Cinema will be permanently closing its Biddeford location. The company made the announcement Monday on Facebook, while also announcing their other locations in Sanford, Windham, Topsham, and Tilton, New Hampshire will reopen as soon as they are allowed and can do so safely. (WGME)
4. Two Freeport Middle School Girls, Lana DiRusso and Mary MacDonald, organized the Save a Business, Feed a Family GoFundMe. Money raised goes to the purchase of gift cards for local restaurants. Working w/ the Freeport Community Services Food Pantry the gift cards will be tucked into boxes of food. The FCS has served an average of 80 – 90 households a week during the pandemic. The girls have raised over $4500 already and plan to run the fundraiser through may. (NEWS CENTER MAINE)
5. National Nurses Day. Today is the day set aside to honor all the hard work nurses do for patients 24-hours a day, seven days a week. Donate a meal to the nurses working a shift at a nearby healthcare facility or say “thank you” to the nurses in your life.