1. Trump and Bush repeatedly traded blows on Saturday night in what proved to be the most aggressive Republican presidential debate yet. Trump even went so far as to slam his brother saying, “The World Trade Center came down during your brother’s reign, remember that.” Meanwhile, Rubio and Cruz clashed on immigration. Rubio took a jab at Cruz for not speaking Spanish, which prompted Cruz to rattle off some Spanish.
2. 6 apartment units in Portland were damaged due to a fire this weekend. Crews were called to 430 Forest Avenue Sunday afternoon for reports of fire on the first floor. The flames spread through all three floors before crews were able to knock it down. Luckily, no one was hurt in the fire.
3. Westbrook High School’s Nyagoa Bayak has been ranked the top freshman in the U.S. and 6th among all U.S. high school girls in the high jump. She will try to break the state record at the Class A indoor track and field championships this afternoon, then start at center in a Class A South girls’ basketball quarterfinal tonight. Best of luck, Nyagoa!
4. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia passed away this weekend at age 79 from a heart attack. He was known as one of the most conservative and controversial justices who was “a champion of interpreting the Constitution as it was understood at the time of its adoption.” President Obama has vowed to nominate a successor to fill his seat, but Republicans have called on him to let the next President make the decision.
5. Today is President’s Day! This is a federal holiday always held on the third Monday of February. The day honors presidents of the United States, specifically George Washington and Abe Lincoln who both shared birthdays in this month.
…and you should also know that it’s tax season! 5 Things You Need To Know is made Hot in Maine by Liberty Tax on Main Street in Sanford! Call Joanna today at 805-6400!