1. The missing El Faro cargo ship has been found. The National Transportation Safety Board said the ship appears to be in an upright position and in one piece about 15,000 feet deep near its last know position.
2. Today is Election Day! There are a number of local and statewide issues that Mainers can vote on today, including Portland, Lewiston and Biddeford mayoral elections, and whether or not to increase minimum wage to $15/hour in Portland.
3. Concord Coach Lines has launched its direct service bus route from Portland to Manhattan! The $49 one-way/$98 round-trip introductory rate will run through Feb. 1, when the rates go up to $79 one-way and $158 round-trip. For now, only one round-trip is scheduled per day, seven days a week. The return bus leaves New York at 2 p.m. and is scheduled to arrive in Portland at 8 p.m.
4. Portland City Council has created a historic zone for the India Street neighborhood. The new designation will test a form-based building code, where projects are judged by how they look rather than how they are used.
5. Another reason why dogs are such wonderful creatures… Not only are they man’s best friend, but research has shown that children who grow up with dogs are less likely to develop asthma! Dogs FTW!