1. Pfizer plans to meet with top U.S. health officials today to discuss their request for federal authorization of a third dose of its COVID-19 vaccine. Early data from the company’s booster study suggests people’s antibody levels jump five- to 10-fold after a third dose. (NEWS CENTER)
2. Newly released data from MaineHealth shows an increase in cases of the more contagious delta variant of COVID-19. 18 of 49 patients screened for variants within the health system tested positive for the delta variant. “Delta’s appearance is completely expected,” Gov. Mills stated in a Facebook post Sunday.
3. The destruction from the Surfside, Florida condo collapse is still hard to comprehend. The Gonzalez family has been devastated by the event. Angela and Devin Gonzalez were seriously injured, and another family member is still missing. Their cat, Binx, was missing as well. On Friday, Binx was found near the building site. A friend said, “In the middle of this sadness, we were hoping for good news either for any survivors or any pet. As you may know, pets are family, and this is a miracle. I’m shaking right now.” (FOX)
4. Two days after announcing that a controversial Christopher Columbus ship replica would cease holding tours on the Penobscot River, the town of Bucksport appears to have restarted the event despite tribal objections. (WGME)
5. Sir Richard Branson has finally achieved his dream of going to space! He was on board his company’s spacecraft VSS Unity on July 11, when it was launched above the skies of New Mexico. The voyage makes him the first of the billionaire space company bosses to venture out in his own spacecraft, beating Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk. (HOLLYWOOD LIFE)