1. The Maine CDC on Saturday reported 581 new cases of COVID-19 and two additional deaths. Maine officials are now tracking 14 separate outbreaks in state schools. Hospitalizations remained high at 184 on Saturday.
2. The Portland City Council is expected to vote Monday on a new mask mandate that would require residents and visitors to mask up indoors. Maine and U.S. CDC currently recommends wearing a mask, but they are not required.
3. The American Red Cross is helping a total of 57 people displaced by Saturday’s fire at an apartment building on Blake Street in Lewiston. Temporary shelter has been set up inside Lewiston High School. One man died in the fire as a result of injuries from jumping out of a top floor window.
4. This weekend likely marked the final regular race at the 72-year old Beech Ridge Motor Speedway in Scarborough. Track owner Andy Cusack announced the track was under contract to real estate developers at the year-end awards ceremony.
5. On Saturday, Americans paused to remember those who were lost and those whose lives were forever changed 20 years ago during the Sept.11 terrorist attacks. Freeport Flag Ladies Elaine Greene and Carmen Footer joined dozens in waving the American flag Saturday morning.