1. Governor Mills says she’s told the Biden Administration that Maine can take in Afghan nationals who are fleeing the country after their government fell because of the Taliban takeover. The governor’s office says taking in those allies, “Honors our country’s commitment to stand with those who stood by us.”
2. Maine reported 287 new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday, the highest daily total since mid-May, and health officials expect to see more high numbers in the coming days. The seven-day daily case average increased to 175.
3. A new state vaccination tracker shows how many Maine students are getting vaccinated and it’s broken down by school district. State officials hope this tool would guide efforts to boost vaccination rates.
4. A shortage of school bus drivers is prompting districts to offer big incentives, including a $3,000 sign-on bonus in Scarborough, a $2,000 sign-on bonus in the Gorham School District, and $1,500 in Kennebunk-based Regional School Unit 21.
5. Hot Radio Maine’s Cuts For Class is taking place Mon. Aug 30th 10A-6P at Crow’s Nest Barbershop 600 Turner Street Auburn. FREE back to school cuts for students 18 and under. Walk-ins only. First come first serve. Standard cuts while time permits. Made Hot in Maine Dirigo Federal Credit dirigofcu.com.