1. Some people are seeing their stimulus checks pending in their bank accounts, and they’re complaining about banks holding their deposits. Banks aren’t sitting on stimulus payments. It just takes a couple days for the checks to process. Chase Bank tweeted “Most eligible customers can expect to see stimulus payments in their Chase account as soon as Wednesday.” (WMTW)
2. The U.S. tops 29.4 million covid-19 cases with more than 535,000 related deaths. The Maine CDC reported one new death and 174 new cases on Monday bringing Maine’s death toll to 725 with 78 Mainers currently hospitalized. Over 26% of Mainers have received at least the first dose of a covid vaccine. (WMTW)
3. The Maine 200th Bicentennial Commission unveiled a time capsule named the “Dirigo Star” Monday to also coincide with the state’s 201st birthday. Maine officially became a state on March 15, 1820. All Mainers born on March 15 are invited to become “keepers” of the time capsule to help decide what will go into it. (WMTW)
4. “Grass Roots Marijuana Shop” on St. John street becomes the 2nd recreational marijuana shop to open in Portland today. There are 31 other pot shops awaiting permit approval. (WMTW)
5. Funtown Splashtown says the park has submitted what it is calling a comprehensive reopening plan with COVID-19 safe measures to the state for approval. The goal is to reopen May 29, the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. (WMTW)
Made Hot in Maine by Key Ford of York! There’s one more thing you need to know this morning: the best deals are at Key Ford!