1. Joe Biden swears the oath of office at noon today to become the 46th president of the United States. At age 78, he will be the oldest president inaugurated. Kamala Harris becomes the first woman, the first Black person and first person of South Asian descent elected to the vice presidency. She will become the highest-ranking woman ever to serve in government. Trump will be the first president in more than a century to skip the inauguration of his successor. (AP)
2. On Day One, Biden will send an immigration proposal to Capitol Hill that would create an eight-year path to citizenship for immigrants living in the country illegally. He also planned a 10-day blitz of executive orders which include: rescinding travel restrictions on people from several predominantly Muslim countries; rejoining the Paris climate accord; issuing a mask mandate for those on federal property; and ordering agencies to figure out how to reunite children separated from their families after crossing the border. (AP)
3. The US tops 24.2 million Covid-19 cases with over 401,000 related deaths. The Maine CDC reported 5 new deaths and 386 new cases on Tuesday. Maine’s death toll is 519 with 191 Mainers currently hospitalized. (WMTW)
4. Maine lawmakers are calling for Capitol Police Chief Russell Gauvin to be placed on leave immediately for controversial social media posts reacting to Black Lives Matter and supporting election and mask wearing conspiracies. “Many of us may never feel safe at the Maine State House facility again so long as Chief Gauvin is in charge of security or a member of the Capitol Police,” read a letter signed by 70 lawmakers. (WMTW)
5. Disc Jockey Day – Celebrate the DJs who play the music we love on the radio, in the clubs, at events & parties! Tag your favorite DJ on social media today.