1. Mad Max: Fury Road was the big winner at the 88th Academy Awards last night, where the film took home six awards. Leonardo DiCaprio finally won the Best Actor category for his role in The Revenant after being nominated six times throughout his career. Journalism drama Spotlight was recognized as the Best Picture. Room star Brie Larson won Best Actress. Sam Smith and Jimmy Napes took home the award for Best Song for their Spectre contribution “Writing’s on the Wall.” Complete winner’s list!
2. The body of missing Westbrook man, Richard Goff was found yesterday morning in Presumpscot River. Police said the investigation into the death is continuing but does not look suspicious. (PH)
3. Gov. Paul LePage privately called on his fellow Republican governors to disavow Donald Trump less than a week before LePage publicly endorsed the Republican presidential front-runner, according to the NY Times. A LePage spokesman did not confirm or deny the report but says Maine’s chief executive now backs the front-runner because both have a business background and come from outside the political establishment. (PH)
4. Boy’s basketball – Portland wins Class AA title in double overtime against South Portland. Falmouth wins the class A title. Girl’s basketball – Gorham defeated Edward Little for the Class AA title and York took home the Class A title. (PH)
5. Today is Leap Year Day. This is a free day that only comes around once every four years.
…and you should also know that it’s tax season! 5 Things You Need To Know is made Hot in Maine by Liberty Tax on Main Street in Sanford! Call Joanna today at 805-6400!