1. U.S. basketball star Brittney Griner was convicted Thursday in Russia of drug possession and sentenced to nine years in prison. Presiden Biden said “I call on Russia to release her immediately so she can be with her wife, loved ones, friends, and teammates.”
2. U.S. health officials are declaring the spread of monkeypox a public health emergency. With 7,100 cases nationwide, the Maine CDC says there are three in Maine. A vaccine clinic is being held today at the Dunaway Community Center in Ogunquit from noon to 5 p.m. No appointment is required.
3. Few more days of heat in store for Maine. The National Weather Service in Gray said the heat will continue Friday and persist through the weekend before the weather gradually starts to cool down on Tuesday. At 99 degrees Sanford reported the state’s highest temperature on Thursday.
4. The Lewiston Public School District is holding a hiring event from 10am until 2pm at the Lewiston High School complex on East Avenue. They have about 100 openings district wide. In addition to classroom positions, they are also looking for bus drivers. They need more than a dozen drivers.
5. The Bangor State Fair returned Thursday afternoon. There will be live bands, rides, a demolition derby, and more over the four-day event.
Made Hot in Maine by The Law Offices of Joe Bornstein! Over 25,000 victories for injured Mainers. Call Joe today and get a free case evaluation. 207-CALL-JOE or online at joebornstein.com.