- A Maine man has pleaded guilty to charges in connection with the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol Riot. Joshua Colgan of Jefferson pleaded guilty to parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol Building as part of a plea deal with prosecutors. He had previously pleaded not guilty. He will be sentenced in April. That charge carries a maximum sentence of six years in prison plus fines. (WMTW)
- A substitute teacher at King Middle School in Portland was dismissed after students are said to have accessed an associated TikTok account containing “potentially inappropriate content.” A letter was sent to parents and guardians of students at the school. In it, King Middle School Principal Caitlin LeClair stated that the TikTok account was reportedly blocked, preventing student access. (NCM)
- The Mahaney Dome, an indoor practice facility at the University of Maine in Orono, collapsed Thursday under the weight of water and snow in the middle of the dome. No one was injured, according to Senior Associate Athletic Director Tyson McHatten. “Seems to happen every year,” McHatten said. (WGME)
- The KFC Foundation will offer tuition-free higher education to eligible KFC employees through a partnership with Western Governors University starting in February. KFC restaurant employees will be able to choose among more than 60 different bachelor’s and master’s degrees and certification programs offered by WGU across the fields of business, information technology, education and healthcare. (RD)
- Pizza Hut officially made the “World’s Largest Pizza” with the help of YouTuber Airrack (Eric Decker), according to the Guinness Book of World Records. On Jan. 18, nearly 14,000 square feet of the Los Angeles Convention Center was covered by 3,653 pounds of dough, 4,948 pounds of sweet marinara sauce, more than 8,800 pounds of cheese and nearly 630,496 pepperoni to create the largest pizza in the world. (NYP)
Made Hot in Maine by the Law Offices of Joe Bornstein. Did you start the New Year with a bang? Call Joe today and get the Bornstein advantage. Dial 207-CALL-JOE.