1. A rejuvenated Hurricane Ian set its sights on South Carolina’s coast today. A flash flood warning was issued for parts of Charleston and Berkeley counties. Thousands of Floridians were trapped amid flooded homes. Four people were confirmed dead in Florida.
2. The Oxford County Sheriff’s Office says 74-year-old school bus driver Shirley Danforth of Stoneham has been charged with assault and driving to endanger. After an argument with a parent, Danforth started driving the bus while the parent was still between the open bus doors.
3. Two dozen graduate students at USM are demanding their education professor be replaced after the professor allegedly said only two biological sexes exist. The students said professor Christy Hammer’s remarks were inaccurate and transphobic.
4. The state’s first Friendly Toast, the 10th restaurant in the regional New England chain, is slated to open in Portland’s Old Port on Monday.
5. For the first time in a decade, M&M’s is expanding its iconic crew with the introduction of a new permanent character and spoke candy: Purple. She’s the first-ever female peanut character to join the crew.