1. On Wednesday, video appeared to show a failed drone strike targeting the Grand Kremlin Palace. Russia initially claimed it was a Ukrainian attempt to assassinate Vladimir Putin, now they’re shifting its blame to the U.S. The Pentagon denied the accusation. (JN)
2. Lawmakers and concerned citizens packed the State House Thursday to talk about a bill that could remove books like “Gender Queer: A Memoir” from school libraries across the state. Senator James Libby proposed the idea, saying he wants to “protect children from inappropriate material.” Opponents say this is essentially book banning and prevents kids from forming their own identity. (WGME)
3. The Lee Dodge dealership in Auburn caught fire during construction work yesterday. Firefighters controlled the flames in 20 minutes. No injuries reported. Center Street was shut down during rush hour. The Fire chief spotted the fire while driving by the dealership and called it in. (WGME)
4. Jenny Craig is shutting down after four decades “due to its inability to secure additional financing.” Jenny Craig has 500 locations in North America. (People)
5. Happy Cinco de Mayo! The holiday commemorates the Mexican army’s victory over France at the Battle of Puebla in 1862. Cinco de Mayo is now more popular in the United States than in Mexico.
Made Hot by the Law Offices of Joe Bornstein. Over 25,000 victories for injured Mainers since 1974. 207-CALL-JOE or online at joebornstein.com