1. Peaks Island residences and businesses suffered storm damage following Friday’s record-breaking thunderstorm. Winds of up to 60 miles per hour were reported on Peaks. The popular food truck The Greeks of Peaks was destroyed by a fallen tree. Island Lobster Co. saw its awning blow off, the side of its deck cave in, and part of its roof peeled away as well.
2. Portland Police are having a hiring event today for officers and dispatchers, both trained and untrained. The event is from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the police station on Middle St. in Portland.
3. Maine high schools are entering the fall season with barely enough referees for games. The pool of game officials has been shrinking for years, with verbal abuse cited as the biggest reason why it’s hard to attract and retain new refs.
4. The University of New England is welcoming its largest ever incoming class this fall. Friday, the school hosted a special early move-in day for first-generation college students. Undergraduate classes at UNE start on Wednesday.
5. Hot Radio Maine Presents the 2nd Annual Cuts For Class – Monday August 29th 10am-6pm at Crow’s Nest Barbershop in Auburn (600 Turner Street). FREE back to school HAIRCUTS for students 18 and under. First come, first serve. While time permits.
Made Hot in Maine by the Law Offices of Joe Bornstein! Injured in an accident? Get the help you need and the justice you deserve by dialing 207-CALL-JOE or online at joebornstein.com.