1. Senate Democrats passed an estimated $740 billion budget package on Sunday. It now heads to the House.
2. A swimmer was rescued from the Saco River in Buxton. The 23-year-old woman became stuck with her knee wedged between two large pieces of ledge. 30 people were involved in the rescue and eventually, an air chisel was used to free the woman’s leg.
3. Sunday was the hottest day in Portland in over a year. The last time the temperature reached 96 at the Portland Jetport was June 29, 2021. 96 is a new daily record high for August 7th (records go back to 1941).
4. Gas prices have declined for eight straight weeks. According to AAA, average gas prices in Maine have fallen about 9 cents per gallon in the last week, averaging $4.46 a gallon as of Monday. According to GasBuddy, the cheapest gas station in Maine, which is Panda Market in Buxton, is priced at $3.79 a gallon
5. The 24th Beach to Beacon 10K returned to Cape Elizabeth on Saturday after a two-year absence. Over 7,600 runners ran 6.2 miles from Crescent Beach to the Portland Head Light.
Made Hot in Maine by the Law Offices of Joe Bornstein! Injured in an accident? Get the help you need and the justice you deserve by dialing 207-CALL-JOE or online at joebornstein.com