1. Scarborough High School Principal David Creech submitted his resignation suddenly and without giving a public reason on Friday amid an intensifying community dispute over new school start times that are set to take effect in the fall. Parents and community members are now taking action, planning a protest in hopes the Scarborough School Board will reject Creech’s resignation. #WeStandWithCreech The protest is planned for the morning of Monday, February 26th. There is also an online petition, urging the Board of Education to not accept Principal Creech’s resignation. (Press Herald / WGME)
2. This week’s warm up means a lot of melting and a warning for people on Maine’s lakes and ponds. Wardens are urging caution. They say some lakes and ponds may look frozen but they aren’t all safe to be on. Wardens say if you’re planning on going ice fishing on any lake or pond use extreme caution. Wardens say the ice should be at least four inches to go on by foot and at least five inches for snowmobiles. If you are going out on the ice, wardens are urging Mainers to carry ice pics and to make a plan in the event you break through the ice. (WGME)
3. The city of Portland tweeted a reassuring notice to motorists this weekend – it’s aware that potholes are plaguing drivers this winter and a major project will begin this week to fix the problem. City officials said four areas will undergo pothole repairs on Tuesday and Thursday: Warren Avenue at the Maine Turnpike overpass, on Riverside Street near its intersection with Washington Avenue, on Stevens Avenue near Forest Avenue, and on Forest Avenue between Stevens Avenue and Walton Street. (Press Herald)
4. Disney-Marvel’s “Black Panther” is heading for a super-heroic $218 million debut over the four-day President’s Day weekend at 4,020 North American locations, estimates showed Sunday. The film’s estimated three-day gross of $192 million is the highest debut ever for a February film and the fifth highest of all time. “Black Panther” has demolished the record for the largest Presidents Day weekend, blowing past “Deadpool’s” 2016 mark of $152 million. (Variety)
5. Happy Presidents’ Day! Celebrated annually on the third Monday of February, Presidents’ Day (also known as Washington’s Birthday) pays tribute to the individuals who have served as President of the United States. Donald J. Trump (45th president: 2017-present). Trump doesn’t drink alcohol. Barack Obama (44th president: 2009-2017). Obama doesn’t like ice cream. George W. Bush (43rd president: 2001-2009). He was a cheerleader in high school. (247wallst)
Made Hot in Maine by Job Corps! Job Corps offers housing and FREE career training classes to those who qualify!