- Aquilino Gonell, one of three law enforcement officers that Maine resident Kyle Fitzsimons was convicted of assaulting in the January 6, 2021, Capitol riot, has been awarded a Presidential Citizens Medal by President Joe Biden. Fitzsimons, of Lebanon, the first and most seriously charged Mainer to stand trial for the Capitol riot, was convicted of 11 criminal counts last September. (WMTW)
- Trevor Bickford, the 19-year-old Wells man, who allegedly attacked three New York City police officers on New Year’s Eve has been indicted by the Manhattan DA. Bickford faces 18 charges including 3 counts of attempted murder in the first degree in furtherance of an act of terrorism. (WMTW)
- Maine’s licensed adult-use cannabis retailers reported nearly $158.9 million in sales for last year, earning the state roughly $16 million in tax revenue. The 2021 total was $82 million. With 114 stores, 56 manufacturing facilities, 87 cultivation sites and three testing labs, buyers are seeing more variety and lower prices. The average price of a gram dropped from $16.68 at market launch to $8.18 per gram as of December. (PH)
- The Patriots’ season ended yesterday with a 35-23 loss in Buffalo. In the first play for the Bills since Damar Hamlin’s collapse, Nyheim Hines returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown. Hines returned another kickoff in the 3rd to help secure the win. (PH)
- Tomorrow’s Mega Millions jackpot is estimated at $1.1 billion. It’s the fourth time Mega Millions has topped the billion dollar mark and this will be the 3rd largest payout in Mega Millions history.
Made Hot in Maine by the Law Offices of Joe Bornstein. Over 25,000 victories for injured Mainers since 1974. 207-CALL-JOE or online at joebornstein.com.