1. A man walked into the Irving-Circle K gas station in South Portland and pulled out a gun on Sunday night. Police said Robert White, 44 of South Portland, pulled out a handgun and began waving it around and then barricaded himself in the store’s restroom. The Southern Maine regional SWAT team arrived shortly after receiving a call from store employees around 6:49 p.m. White was arrested and now faces multiple charges including terrorizing in connection with the incident. (WCSH)
2. Oakhurst Dairy plans to introduce a wild Maine blueberry milk this spring. If the new flavor is a hit, that would be good news for wild blueberry growers in Maine. Blueberry farmers continue to increase the yield from the state’s 44,000 acres of blueberry fields. (PH)
3. The Boston Red Sox officially announced the hiring of Alex Cora as the 47th manager in team history. Cora spent three and a half seasons with the Sox after he was traded from the Cleveland Indians midway through the 2005 season. He was considered a clubhouse favorite by teammates and has been credited with being a pivotal piece to the 2007 Red Sox World Series Championship team. (WCSH)
4. The Houston Astros are headed to the World Series after beating the New York Yankees in Game 7 of the American League Championship Series on Saturday night. The Astros out-pitched, outhit and outplayed the Yankees to win their second consecutive elimination game. The Astros will next face the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game 1 of the World Series, which takes place in L.A. on Tuesday, October 24. (ESPN)
5. iPod Day. This celebration commemorates the day in 2001 that Apple released the first iPod, a compact and durable device capable of holding the entire contents of most peoples CD collections.
5 Things You Need to Know is made Hot in Maine by North Country Auto, in Biddeford! Trust North Country for a clean dependable used vehicle. North Country Auto, Route 111, Biddeford.