1. A new surveillance video obtained by the Austin-American Statesman shows officers who responded to the Uvalde shooting running away when they were shot at. Police are seen wandering the halls for more than an hour while the shooting is taking place. One officer stops to get hand sanitizer. At the end of the 77-minute video, when the hallway becomes crowded, law enforcement breaches the door and kills the shooter.
2. Consumer prices rose 9.1% from a year ago in June, the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index shows. This is the fastest inflation recorded since November of 1981.
3. The nation’s governors are meeting in-person for the first time since the start of the pandemic in Portland this week. Last night the governors were at Ocean Gateway for a reception. Tonight Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson, along with Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger, will kick off the conference with a discussion about beefing up computer science education.
4. The international organization responsible for emojis has picked 31 new characters for consideration. The Unicode Consortium is preparing Emoji 15 for Apple and Google to consider for mobile devices. The new emojis include a shaking head, a donkey, blackbird, flute, peapod, goose, moose, wi-fi signal, a grey heart, a light blue heart, and a “talk to the hand” hand. A final decision on the emojis will be finalized in September.
5. Hot Beach Bash starring Lil Jon is on July 21st at Bernie’s Beach Bar on Hampton Beach. Tickets on sale now – Ticketmaster / HotRadioMaine.Com