1. Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer has notified the White House that his retirement will be effective today at noon. He said that Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson is prepared to “take the prescribed oaths” to begin her service as the 116th member of the court.
2. Gorham man, Nicholas Hendrix, has pleaded guilty for his role in the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol. According to court documents, Hendrix told investigators that he spent less than two minutes inside the Capitol during the riot before leaving. Prosecutors say he tried to reenter the building but was pepper-sprayed. Hendrix is scheduled to be sentenced in December.
3. A petition to raise Portland’s minimum wage to $18 an hour has been submitted to the city’s clerk office. Portland’s current minimum wage is $13. The city’s minimum wage will go up to $14 an hour in 2023. The clerk’s office is counting the petition’s signatures and we’ll find out Friday if the $18 minimum wage will appear on the November ballot.
4. Walmart has been sued by the FTC, which says the retail chain did nothing to stop scammers from stealing more than $197 million from customers in money transfer scams. The FTC says Walmart “turned a blind eye” by not properly training its employees, failing to alert customers, and using procedures that allowed fraudsters to cash out at its stores.
5. Hot Beach Bash starring Lil Jon is on July 21st at Bernie’s Beach Bar on Hampton Beach. Tickets on sale now – Ticketmaster / HotRadioMaine.Com