1. Despite a slight cool-down yesterday and today, October 2017 is on pace to be the warmest on record in Portland. Through Oct. 15, Portland’s average daily temperature was 58 degrees, about 6.6 degrees above normal for the month. Temperatures predicted to be in the 60s to near 70 for the rest of this week, into the 70s over the weekend and through next Monday. (PH)
2. The Portland City Council voted unanimously Monday to approve an $8.5 million project to purchase its street lights downtown and several islands from Central Maine Power Co. The project would allow the city to install more efficient LED lights, as well as install Wi-Fi, among other technologies, saving up to $1 million a year, once the project is paid for. (PH)
3. Celtics Season opener 8pm tonight in Cleveland. It will feature Kyrie Irving’s return to Cleveland but he’s not concerning himself w/ the subplot. “It’s just hoops, man,” he said after being asked if he needs to brace himself for the Cleveland crowd. “That’s it.” (NBA)
4. New legislation passed in California on Friday will soon require pet stores to get their puppies, kittens and rabbits from shelters and rescue centers only. the A.B. 485 bill is a major blow to “puppy mills” and “kitten factories,” which are known for mass producing animals in often inhumane conditions for resale. “Because pet stores are one step removed from the breeding of the animals they sell, store owners rarely know the breeding conditions of their animals,” a fact sheet for the legislation says. (NYT)
5. Wear Something Gaudy Day. This day was inspired by the Three’s Company character Larry Dallas and encourages you to locate out of date fashions and put together an ensemble designed to shock and appall.
5 Things You Need to Know is made Hot in Maine by North Country Auto, in Biddeford! Trust North Country for a clean dependable used vehicle. North Country Auto, Route 111, Biddeford.