1. Kid Rock revealed in a radio interview Tuesday that he was just joking when he teased a possible run for Senate earlier this year. “F**k no, I’m not running for Senate. Are you f**king kidding me?” Rock said. “Who couldn’t figure that out?” He then basically admitted the whole thing was a stunt to drum up publicity for his upcoming album. The outspoken Trump supporter then claimed he might pursue politics after all if enough Democrats rub him the wrong way. (Rolling Stone)
2. Entry fees at most-popular national parks, including Acadia, could more than double. The National Park Service is considering a steep increase in entrance fees at 17 of its most popular parks to address a backlog of maintenance and infrastructure projects. The entry fee at Acadia National Park is currently $25 for a weekly pass. That could go up to as much as $70. (Press Herald)
3. A pilot program that would bring seasonal passenger rail service as far north as Rockland is being explored by the transportation authority tasked with handling the state’s contract with Amtrak’s Downeaster service. The pilot program would extend the Downeaster’s rail service ― which begins in Boston ― up the coast from its current northern point of Brunswick, adding new stops in Bath, Wiscasset, Newcastle and Rockland. While the project is still in the early stages of planning, it could happen as soon as summer 2018. (Bangor Daily)
4. The Los Angeles Dodgers beat the Houston Astros 3-1 in Game 1 on Tuesday night, which proved to be the fastest World Series game in 25 years at just two hours and 28 minutes. Clayton Kershaw delivered 11 strikeouts over seven innings, becoming only the third pitcher this season to strike out 10-plus Astros in a game. Game 2 will be held in Los Angeles tonight. (SB Nation)
5. Unity Day, the signature event of National Bullying Prevention Month, has been recognized in the United States since 2011. To participate in Unity Day, individuals, schools, communities, and businesses wear or display orange to show support for students who have been bullied. One in four school-age children will report being bullied at school. (Wikipedia)
5 Things You Need to Know is made Hot in Maine by North Country Auto, in Biddeford! Trust North Country for a clean dependable used vehicle. North Country Auto, Route 111, Biddeford.