1. The Iowa caucuses happened yesterday. Ted Cruz won for the Republicans while Donald Trump took second place and Marco Rubio took third. Hillary Clinton won for the Democrats, but just by a hair. She had 49.8% of the votes while Bernie Sanders had 49.5% of the votes. Mike Huckabee and Martin O’Malley have dropped out of the race.
2. The NFL has agreed upon a new two-year deal with both CBS and NBC to air Thursday Night Football games over the next two seasons. While the exact schedule has yet to be determined, CBS will reportedly air five games early in the season and NBC will have five late in the season. Meanwhile, the NFL Network will continue to simulcast the games being aired on CBS and NBC.
3. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced that the two E.coli outbreaks linked to Chipotle appear to be over. The outbreaks affected more than 50 people across 14 states. Chipotle said last month that it has tightened its food safety measures to avoid future incidents of food poisoning.
4. Portland Mayor Ethan Strimling had his first State of the City address yesterday. He has three specific ideas for Portland including establishing an Office of New Americans, keeping any annual tax increase below 2.5%, and five more “Housing First” projects. You can see more details of his ideas here!
5. Today is National Groundhog Day! According to legend, if famed groundhog Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow, the scared groundhog returns to his burrow and the we are in store for six more weeks of winter. But, if he doesn’t see his shadow, we can expect warmer temperatures and an early spring.
…and you should also know that it’s tax season! 5 Things You Need To Know is made Hot in Maine by Liberty Tax on Main Street in Sanford! Call Joanna today at 805-6400!