1. Lewiston police plan to summon the woman whose alleged abandonment of a dog led to the animal’s death when it was hit by a car. Trying to explain herself, the woman said the dog’s original owner wouldn’t take it back after it had bitten one of her young children. According to Maine law, abandonment of an animal that results in the animal’s death is a Class C crime, a felony punishable by up to five years in prison.
2. Governor LePage is pushing to have violent patients at the Riverview Psychiatric Center in Augusta placed at a special unit in the Maine State Prison. He says it’s necessary to ensure the safety of staff and other patients at the psychiatric hospital. The Center is where people charged with crimes are sent when they are determined to be not criminally responsible or incompetent to stand trial because of mental illness.
3. The next presidential primary will take place on February 9th in New Hampshire. A recent poll had Trump currently in the lead for Republicans and Sanders in the lead for Democrats. The Democrats will debate Thursday evening and the Republicans will debate on Saturday.
4. The White Barn Inn in Kennebunk was named one of the most romantic restaurants in America. According to the creator of the list, OpenTable.com,the list of honorees is based on an analysis of more than 5 million reviews of 20,000+ restaurants across the country.
5. McDonald’s is replacing its usual Happy Meal toys with children’s books between now and February 15th. The titles are mostly Valentine’s Day-themed and will be presented in “petite paperback” form to fit in Happy Meal packaging. A total of 17 million books will be given away as part of the promotion.
…and you should also know that it’s tax season! 5 Things You Need To Know is made Hot in Maine by Liberty Tax on Main Street in Sanford! Call Joanna today at 805-6400!