1. Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders butted heads over campaign donations at last night’s debate in New Hampshire. It began when Sanders not-so-subtly suggested that Clinton’s decision to raise money on Wall Street was a potential vehicle of corruption. Hillary shot back saying, “If you got something to say, say it directly. But you will never find that I have ever changed a view or a vote because of any donation I’ve received.”
2. “Pharma Bro” Martin Shkreli appeared before Congress yesterday to explain why he severely jacked up the price of a life-saving HIV drug, and ended up not doing any explaining at all. Instead he invoked the Fifth Amendment, later telling members of the House, “I intend to follow the advice of my counsel and not yours.” After, he tweeted, “Hard to accept that these imbeciles represent the people in our government.”
3. Governor Paul LePage is stopping the Maine Human Rights Commission and the Department of Education from issuing rules protecting transgender students, arguing that the Legislature needs to pass a law before regulations can be imposed. In the meantime, schools are being given guidelines that lack the force of law.
4. The Maine lobster industry is worried the warm waters suggest a repeat of the disastrous 2012 season. Scientists see signs of another ‘ocean heat wave,’ when early shell-shedding led to a supply glut and diving prices. As a result, prices paid to lobstermen fell to as low as $2 a pound.
5. Pro BMX biker Dave Mirra was found dead yesterday of an apparent suicide at age 41. Mirra was a beloved figure in the world of extreme sports he headlined several BMX video games.
…and you should also know that it’s tax season! 5 Things You Need To Know is made Hot in Maine by Liberty Tax on Main Street in Sanford! Call Joanna today at 805-6400!