1. Greater Androscoggin Humane Society in Lewiston is searching for a person who abandoned a dog in front of their building on Monday evening. During their morning search yesterday, the dog was found hit by a car near the off ramp of the bridge and has sadly passed away. Please contact Animal Control through the Lewiston Police Department with any leads. You can watch the surveillance video here.
2. A bill has been proposed in Maine to give family members access to sick parents even if their parents’ partner has blocked them from doing so. Next month, lawmakers are expected to consider the bill that would protect the rights of adult children to visit elderly loved ones who are ill.
3. At the GOP debate last night in Iowa, many of the Republican presidential candidates used their time to mock Donald Trump’s absence. Ted Cruz, for example said, “Let me say I’m a maniac and everyone on this stage is stupid, fat, and ugly. And Ben Carson, you’re a terrible surgeon. Now that we’ve gotten the Donald Trump portion out of the way.” Ironically, Cruz later pulled a Trump by threatening to leave the stage over “mean” questions.
4. Leaked emails show workers in a state office building in Flint received water coolers last year while expressing concerns about tap water quality. At that the same time, residents in Flint were reporting brownish water flowing from their taps, but state officials had not yet confirmed the water was contaminated with lead and repeatedly said the water was safe to drink. If you’re able to donate to the Flint Water Crisis, click here.
5. The University of Kentucky is now offering a class about tacos to undergraduates. Coursework includes sampling tacos and writing restaurant reviews. Professor Steven Alvarez explains, “This class allows our students to explore the issues of immigration, inequality, workers, intercultural communication, and literacy through the prism of food.”
…and you should also know that it’s tax season! 5 Things You Need To Know is made Hot in Maine by Liberty Tax on Main Street in Sanford! Call Joanna today at 805-6400!