1. China today reported another sharp rise in the number of people infected with the coronavirus, as the death toll neared 1,400. The number of reported cases has been rising more quickly after the hardest-hit province changed its method of counting them Thursday. There are now 63,851 confirmed cases in mainland China, of which 1,380 have died. (WASHINGTON POST)
2. Police on Thursday were investigating two unrelated incidents involving men with hatchets in Lewiston. In the 2nd incident the man with the hatchet thought his car was being stolen by a neighbor. When it was revealed that the car was being repossessed, he backed off and put the hatchet away. (WGME)
3. Valentine’s Day Bandit in Portland strikes again. The Bandit has been putting up hearts around Portland, ME since the 70’s.
4. The No. 5 will soon be in the rafters at the TD Garden. The Celtics announced yesterday that they will retire Kevin Garnett’s number sometime during the 2020-21 season. KG got his first and only ring after Boston defeated the Lakers in 2008. After the Game 6 victory that sealed the title, he famously screamed “ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE” in his postgame interview. (CBS)
5. Hot 1047 is now Hot Radio Maine. In addition to the new branding and broadcasting to southern Maine on 104.7, we can now be heard on 100.3 FM in Lewiston/Auburn and Brunswick and 102.9 FM in the Bangor/Brewer metro. (HOT RADIO MAINE)