1. Kobe Bryant and his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, died Sunday morning in a helicopter crash. The 41-year-old Bryant and his daughter were reportedly going to her travel basketball game. All nine people aboard the helicopter were killed. Three other victims include Orange Coast College baseball coach John Altobelli, his wife, Keri, and daughter Alyssa. The cause of the crash is under investigation, but L.A. County Sheriff Alex Villanueva says, “We do know that there were issues of visibility.” (NY TIMES)
2. DEVELOPING STORY – There’s a standoff happening in the area of the former Naval base in Brunswick with a man who has a rifle, and police are asking everyone in the area of Neptune Drive to stay in their homes. (NEWS CENTER MAINE)
3. Northeastern University is expected to announce today the creation of an advanced graduate study and research institute in Portland aimed at building a high-tech workforce to grow the state’s knowledge economy. (PRESS HERALD)
4. A proposal before the Maine State House would exempt school textbook purchases from sales tax in the state. Maine is the only New England state that imposes a sales tax on textbook purchases. Two-thirds of the respondents to a student survey said they’ve skipped buying or renting a textbook because of cost. (WGME)
5. Hot 1047 is now Hot Radio Maine. In addition to the new branding and broadcasting to southern Maine on 104.7, we can now be heard on 100.3 FM in Lewiston/Auburn and Brunswick and 102.9 FM in the Bangor/Brewer metro. (HOT RADIO MAINE)
5 Things You Need To Know is Made Hot in Maine by Key Ford of York! You need to know the best deals are at Key Ford!