1. In Portland, volunteers hit the streets for the annual Point-in-Time homeless survey. This year, they found two people. The Department of Housing requires cities across the country to count the number of homeless people sleeping outside, using the data to decide how much money to give each city for services for the homeless. Besides trying to get data, the volunteers are also trying to build a relationship so they can figure out how to get them into shelter.
2. Governor Paul LePage was in Lewiston yesterday to encourage the mayors of Lewiston and Auburn to merge their cities. His goal is to consolidate city services and cut the cost of government. The mayors say the idea of merger is being talked about and they actually have a committee that’s been working for the past year on merger and consolidation issues.
3. Adrianne Haslet-Davis, who lost the lower part of her left leg in the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing, has revealed plans to run the entire race this year. She explained that running the race will fulfill a promise she made to herself while she doped up on Vicodin due to her injuries. She will be racing to raise money for Limbs for Life, an organization which helps amputees in need. Learn more about Limbs for Life here!
4. Officials in Michigan announced yesterday that the lead pipes which have caused the water crisis in Flint will remain for the foreseeable future. Governor Rick Snyder said, “It’s a lot of work to take out pipes, to redo all the infrastructure.” He then went on to lay out the short-term actions that will continue, which includes supplying bottled water and filters to residents. It could take months before their water is safe to drink again.
5. Today is a very popular day for birthdays! Born today was J. Cole, Nick Carter, Joey Fatone, Rick Ross, Rakim, Alan Alda, Sarah McLachlan, Elijah Wood, and our very own Ryan DEELON!
…and you should also know that it’s tax season! 5 Things You Need To Know is made Hot in Maine by Liberty Tax on Main Street in Sanford! Call Joanna today at 805-6400!